Top tips for selecting a security system
When headlines talk about a rise in crime, it is only natural to think about what you can do to protect your family and your property. There are lots of ways to do this, but few are more effective than installing a security system for your home.
If you are considering some form of security system, there is a variety of things you can do to keep your home secure and deter thieves, with a range of costs. From the simple to the more complicated, these include:
• Security lighting: Motion sensors that set off strong floodlights when there is movement outside your home. One of the most cost-effective solutions and one which acts as a powerful deterrent when a potential burglar risks being floodlit for all to see. These lighting systems can be programmed not to be set off by animals such as cats or foxes moving around in the dark so they need not be intrusive or annoying when positioned outside bedrooms.
• Internal lighting timers: One very simple solution that acts as a deterrent is letting people think you are home even when you are not. Using timers to turn lights on and off within your home gives anyone on the outside the illusion that there is someone at home at all times.
• Security alarms: With a huge variety of options on the market, there is bound to be one within your price range. From simple installations that will emit a loud noise if there is a breach of your property, to more sophisticated systems that will alert the local security company or police to check on the property. Security alarms can be wired or wireless; while the former are considered more robust, wireless systems are very effective and less disruptive to install.
• CCTV: With or without a burglar alarm, installing CCTV cameras around your property with a very visible announcement telling potential burglars they will be caught on camera if they come near the property, can be a very effective deterrent.
• Security doors and gates: Security doors and windows are becoming increasingly popular as they are a good option for securing your home. These typically come with an access control system, such as a voice or video entry phone and security doors will have multiple bolt locks making them harder to break into.
When considering the type of security system to install cost is an obvious consideration. However, the potential cost of replacing stolen valuables – not to mention those that have sentimental value and are in effect irreplaceable – together with the cost of repair must also be taken into account. A combination of options is often a good solution, providing more than one hurdle for potential burglars to overcome; we would recommend investing in as good a security system as you can afford to give you that peace of mind.
Talk to the professionals
For more information on security systems, or advice on what is most suitable for your home and circumstances, DNA Security is here to help. You can call us on 01424 718 844 to chat with one of our security experts and we’ll talk you through the options and costs to find a system that suits you.